Nuna Pipa Car Seat
Nuna Pipa Car Seat Review:
The PIPA infant car seat from Nuna just about boasts everything you could ever want and need from a high-end car seat. Nuna is best known for their range of stylish, modern baby and toddler gear, and the Dutch designers are all about functionality combined with safety measures, which as a result delivered a very impressive seat: The Nuna Pipa Car Seat!
I give it kudos for:
- The Pipa is seriously simple, it’s super practical, and it looks amazing!
- It comes standard with LATCH attachments, which means the Nuna Pipa safety measures are on-point with the other big brands we’ve been relying on for the past decade or so.
- The other thing that I really appreciated was the oodles of leg space and the abundance of padding (oh and a massive canopy) which just add to the sheer comfort the seat provides for your baby.
Is it perfect?
Look, there isn’t really something like The Perfect Car Seat. I mean we all have our preferences and individual differences, so someone’s always going to find something to complain about, but in all my years of trial and error with car seats, I have never come across a seat like the Nuna Pipa, and I have to say, in my opinion it’s as close to “perfect” as they come. I might even consider having another baby just so that I can actually buy one for myself!
What does the Nuna Pipa Car Seat Cost?
You’ll find it retailing at around $299, which really isn’t too bad considering the great quality you get for the price!
Features of the Nuna Pipa Car Seat:
- It’s a rear-facing only car seat that will accommodate infants from 4 to 32 pounds
- It comes with 3 harness height positions and 2 crotch strap positions
- It has an adjustable base with a “stability leg” and lower LATCH anchor connectors
- The base has a sturdy lock-off for seatbelt installations
- You don’t have to use the base for installing the car seat; you can also use standard or Euro belt path routing
- It comes with thick EPS foam throughout the entire shell
- The canopy is massive
- It comes with an infant insert (perfect for preemies)
- It has a 7-year lifespan before it expires
The Nuna Pipa Base:
With its rigid lower LATCH anchor attachments, the Pipa easily and securely attaches to your car’s lower LATCH anchors, and with its “Stability Leg” or load leg you get a great lock-off feature to use with seatbelt installations. The base also has 2 recline positions that are easily adjustable and the handy bubble level indicator on both sides of the base help you see if it’s at the correct angle. I kid you not: the Nuna Pipa is seriously quick and easy to install. I’m talking 1 minute max if you don’t have a clue what you’re doing!
The Pipa comes with what Nuna calls a “Dream Drape” and I have to say I loved the idea! This drape is tucked into the canopy inside a zippered compartment and easily comes out for when baby is snoozing and you want to make sure the car seat is covered from any rays of sunlight that might disturb their peaceful rest.
Ahhh…this is kind of a big deal with most infant car seats. If the seat will only attach to one kind of stroller, it means you’ll have to invest in (what can be very expensive) the whole package from that manufacturer. Luckily the Nuna Pipa is a versatile team player. If you have the Nuna PEPP stroller, thumbs up, because this is what the Pipa was actually designed to team up with, but invest in an adapter and the Nuna Pipa is instantly compatible with these strollers:
- UPPAbaby Vista
- UPPAbaby Cruz
- Bugaboo Cameleon
- Bugaboo Bee
- Stokke Xplory
- Stokke Scoot
- Mamas & Papas Sola
And a whole bunch of other strollers too, so make sure you see what your other options are.
The Pros of the Nuna Pipa Car Seat:
- It’s compatible with a lot of high-end strollers if you use an adapter
- The harness straps are removable and replaceable
- The “Dream Drape” earns this seat a best-in-its-class award for the canopy
- The thick EPS foam and memory foam ensures your baby is protected from impact and has a comfortable seat
- The Nuna Pipa fits babies of all sizes, including preemies
- It comes with generous weight and height limits
- The load leg and LATCH on the base means it installs securely for maximum safety
- It’s super easy to install
- Moving the carrier from the car to the stroller couldn’t be easier
- Seatbelt installations are easy and quick thanks to the lock-off feature
The Cons of the Nuna Pipa Car Seat:
- It’s not a car seat that generally comes widely available
- Even though the Pipa prefers to be used with the Nuna PEPP stroller, the adapter is something you’ll have to buy separately
- It doesn’t have a no-rethread harness
- It’s not the most affordable car seat on the market
I love the Nuna Pipa Car Seat. It’s new, it’s innovative, it’s functional and it’s very reliable. It’s the only car seat that I have ever tested out that sported a load leg and lower LATCH connectors, which means it really is a special car seat.
Would I recommend it?
At the drop of a hat! If you can afford to invest in the Nuna Pipa Car Seat, you definitely shouldn’t even be considering any other brand for an infant car seat.